Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Post!

It's been a week, and you all believed that you would never see a post again. Well here you are. I hope it lives up to everything you hoped it could be. If not send complaints to scapegoat@yahoo.com

Amazingly not much happens in a week of Jerry's Life. Adam Webb, my roommate, defended for his Master's Thesis last Friday successfully. Consequently we spent much of the weekend grillin' food, drinking quality beer, and throwing horseshoes at Makela's house. Good times had by all.

This week I've abused my body twice on the soccer fields playing Ultimate Frisbee. It is simply amazing how accurate these guys can throw. Which both suits my strengths and emphasizes my faults. I'm fast, very fast, even as an old guy (24 compared to the average age of 19 on the team). Also, I can catch most anything that comes my way. Coupled with a skilled Handler (frisbee-speak for thrower) I can make some awesome plays. But, after I make the catch, however skillful that might look, I then stand there with the inability to move the Frisbee any farther up the field. Everyone of these guys out there can throw: backhand, forehand, hammertoss, and more whose names I haven't even learned yet. As for me, I have a nice solid backhand... that's it. Which means it took two minutes for everyone else to realize this and block my backhand side solid. I stand there like an idiot until I attempt to pass using my backhand which inevitably is blocked, or I risk a forehand which at best flutters like wounded duck. I've become the 'End Zone' guy: Throw to him to score the point, but make sure he's in the end zone so that he doesn't have to throw it.

No comments: