Sunday, December 18, 2005

Which Disney Princess Are You?

Gabe, Andrea and I had an awesome turkey dinner at Mitch and Laurie's
tonight. For evening entertainment we played "Which Disney Princess
Are You?" off the second DVD of Sleeping Beauty. The selection
choices were: Jasmine, Ariel, Aurora, Snow White, Cinderalla, and
Belle. The selection process is a 10-15 multiple choice survey.
Questions included: What would you most like to have in your house:
ball room, library, 7 guest bedrooms, tiger den, view of the ocean...
etc. Gabe and I were determined to be Belle from Beauty and the
Beast and Andrea was Cinderella. I can't say that I agree with my
results though. In Belle's first musical number she expresses her
disdain for provincial life. It has always been my dream to live a
very simple, christian, family oriented, "provincial" life. In
general, it seems that you can either be career driven, or family
oriented. Choosing one inevitably compromises the other to some
extent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I have that DVD and I was half Belle, half Ariel.

Laurie said...

The question is, do you have to be career-driven to have a successful career? I'm going to argue that you can strike a balance based on the facts that both my parents have wonderful careers (and both advanced their careers while my brother and I were growing up) and we had the best childhood I can possibly imagine.

Laurie said...

By the way, I was Belle, too. :) And in her defense, I think it's more that she wanted to experience more of the world than just the area in which she grew up - not that she did not appreciate the simple things in life. You should be able to relate to that, Mr. World Traveler! It was great to see you this weekend...have a Merry Christmas!

Jerry Ross said...

I agree that you can be successful with out being career-driven. The question I ask myself: Why do I want to be "successful"? My job serves one major purpose, to support my family. Hopefully it is also something I enjoy doing as well. It would also be nice to be in a one working parent arrangement. If that means that I have to be the one to stay home, then so be it. It's not my first choice, but it is certainly a compromise that i'd explore assuming my wife could support the family through her job.