Wednesday, June 29, 2005

LaB6

LaB6 is the chemical formula for a substance called Lanthanum Hexaboride.  I critical component used in hallow cathode assemblies for hall effect thrusters.  Since barium impregnated tungsten is a depleting source of electrons over time, LaB6 is often preferred.  Just don’t touch the stuff, and I quote “may cause writhing, walking on toes with arched back, ataxia… etc.

 

Anyway, getting to the point.  I need some for an emissive electrode I’m trying to build.  So I googled it.  To my surprise Lab6 is also a very popular, very addictive Atari like game.  Head to www.lab6.com and you’ll see what I mean.  I highly recommend it.  the video game that is.  Not to say that emissive cathode’s aren’t fun, they’re just not everyone’s ‘cup of tea’.  I sort of lost 20 minutes of the day when I found this.. oops.

 

No comments: